Monday, June 15, 2009

Writing History Assignment

Despite being previously relegated to one style of writing because of my major, experimenting with different types of writing has largely been a positive experience. A typical business course offers limited writing opportunities which usually focus on the topic in question rather than the writing itself. The chance to experience other styles of writing was one of the underlying reasons why I chose to pursue an advertising minor.

My first impression with communications-style writing evoked skepticism. All I had previously known was lengthy research writing with only a required minimum length. Now challenged to conform to the blunt style of communications writing, attempting to satisfy a maximum required amount of words was initially difficult. The intricacies of AP Style seemed like an annoyance and even pointless at times. After several experiences, however, it seemed to become much easier.

Learning how specific areas of communications practiced different writing styles was an interesting experience. Despite having advertising and public relations writing right in front of me, I had never noticed that each possessed its own style. Recognizing those differences first hand was definitely the most interesting and useful aspect of my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment